[Jacob-list] Registration

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Feb 21 15:16:36 EST 2008

When I first got my Jacob sheep I asked this same question and as I remember
it opened a can of worms. At this point I think that JSBA is the only active
registry. Someone can correct me, but I don't think that JSC has issued
registrations in at least a few years.

By the way, this made me think about my own flock. I got the first 20 or so
sheep from a women in CA who had kept careful pedigrees but had not
registered her sheep. I submitted them for registration and have kept up
with it ever since. Now that the JSBA issues pedigree information on the
certificates it's interesting (and a little worrisome) to see how many
common ancestors there are when you go back only 3 generations or so. I
think it's useful to register so that you know what you're doing when you
breed sheep. Now that sheep are being sold across the country you might be
surprised to get a sheep from the opposite coast and find out that the
grandparents grew up just down the road from you.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com