[Jacob-list] 1st time lamber

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Feb 11 19:38:55 EST 2008

Jacobs vary in a lot of ways - and one way is how they indicate impending birth. I've got primitive ewes that hardly show any udder until after lambing and never really have large udders. Despite the fact they have have small udders, they raise fat, bouncy, primitive type lambs. I've got ewes that can hardly get their hind legs together for the last few weeks. Some ewes don't eat much the day before lambing - some lamb while finishing up their breakfast. Some go hide out in the woods the day before - some lamb in the middle of the flock. Some obviously "drop" a day before. Some don't show any obvious drop in the morning and they have lambs by evening. Some you can't see the tail head drop, but you can feel it. I know my adult ewes pretty well, so I go by behavior with them more than any physical signs. Although I do know when most of them were bred, so I do have a window.

If you lambed last year, you'll know the difference between vulva swelling and SERIOUS vulva swelling.

Like you, I like to be around during lambing and I was always there when my mares foaled. They very seldom need me, but I like to be there in case they do. Plus I'll never tire of seeing them born.

Linda
anxiously awaiting our March lambs

www.patchworkfibers.com