[Jacob-list] Update & another question

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 21:05:17 EST 2008

Thank you all for your advice on supplemental feeding our weak lamb. I did
supplement one bottle, while standing in front of Natalie so she could see
what was going on. Natalie is one of our nicer ewes, so she didn't mind me
handling the lamb. Today both lambs were beginning to "bounce" a little bit, so
they felt MUCH better. Natalie too is on the road to recovery.

That makes 2 ewes and 3 rams which were born over 3 days. Then this
morning, one of our older ewes delivered triplets! Two were up and nursing, but the
third was very weak and barely breathing. Our attempts to help her were for
naught, so she's at the vet school now where they're keeping her warm and on
oxygen and antibiotics until morning. Then we'll see how she's doing. Core
body temperature was very low, and she had not been able to stand to nurse.
They think she is very septic and may not pull through.

Because of this I tried to milk Hannah for colostrum to give the weak one.
I think I have bruises on every limb. Even with my husband holding her, she
bounced around like a ball. And she never did give up any milk. Are sheep
like cows and withhold milk when they are stressed? I'm not an expert milker,
but I did expect at least a drop. In the sheep magazines I've seen ads for
milking machines. Do any of you use a pump of some kind? I want something
inexpensive, yet effective, since I don't think I'll use it often. This is
probably only the second time I've ever needed one. Anyone tried a human
breast pump?

Second question: do droopy ears mean anything in a lamb? It may be a dumb
question, but both ewes have ears that remind me of a lop-eared rabbit. The
ram's ears are perky and stand up normally. Maybe it was positioning in the
uterus? Could it be a sign that they feel bad? With two "sickly" lambs so
far, I'm a little gun shy and may be overreacting, but thought I'd ask the
experts.

Thanks for all your guidance. It's wonderful to have a someone to turn to
when problems come up.

Kathey
Athens, GA

48)