[Jacob-list] supplemental feeding

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Sat Feb 2 16:58:40 EST 2008

One of our favorite ewes lambed earlier this week, having a ewe and a ram
lamb. We found the ewe in the cold and wet, and unable to stand. We brought
her inside, warmed her up, and gave her frozen colostrum until morning. Also
gave her nutri drench. By morning she was still weak, but better. We then
penned the mother and both lambs in a small pen. Mom took the baby back
without problem, but I'm still not sure the lamb is getting enough milk. She keeps
trying to steal milk from the other two ewes, who aren't taking kindly to
the interruption. Plus she just seems awfully skinny. (Sorry, wish I had a
small scale) I'm considering giving the lamb a little extra in the form of
lamb milk replacer, (maybe once a day) but wonder if I'll be doing more harm
than good. What do you consider appropriate as supplement for a weak lamb?
Thanks!

Kathey
Athens, GA

48)