[Jacob-list] wethering adult rams

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 12:49:33 EST 2008

My experience and from what I have heard from other people is that castrating at an older age is not going to have a profound effect on their temperament. If they have always been easy going then they are going to continue to be that way. However, if they are destructive and dangerous then they are still going to be that way after castrating. We have an older wether that we had castrated at 20 months by a vet. He has a lovely fleece, but his structure and horns did not turn out as hoped. We used him as a teaser this year because he still shows interest in the ewes, but he doesn't pace the fence and become destructive if he shares a fence line with the ewes. I also don't have to watch my back when I am in the pasture with him, like I would if he was still intact. It just brings a little peace of mind because they don't have the testosterone coursing through them :)

I'm curious what other people's experiences are!

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
www.kenleigh-acres.com
That'll Do Photography