[Jacob-list] wethering adult rams/ PS

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 08:06:18 EST 2008

Hi Linda,

A couple of years ago, we elected to wether 2 adult rams. Both were excellent fleece producers and had wonderful, quiet temperaments. Although we never totally 'befriended' either of these fellows, both were also quite people oriented and curious. Both were halter trained and quite willing to be led easily and without struggles. We chose to wether simply b/c of our total overall ram population, the concentration of this certain line (they were father and son) within the flock and an unwillingness to part with both for butchering. The rams were 4 and 5 years old and had been used for more than one breeding season. Eventually, I did place the oldest ram in a pet wether/spinners flock home in VA, where he still resides to this day. He is quite spoiled these days, hand fed, petted and is a real people sheep. :)

It was a veterinary procedure (open castration, much like a horse) in which I opted to have a light general anethesia given. Once the procedure was complete, we administered an injectable antibiotic as well as tetanus antitoxin. Both rams were on their feet within 10 minutes following the castration. We chose to keep both rams penned in the barn for the remainder of the day on deep, straw bedding to avoid as much contamination as possible in a barn setting. The following day, they returned to their ram group but also had access to a small outdoor shelter, in which we also placed that soft straw bedding. They used it for one more day and then hung out with the rest of the rams on the open ground.

We chose to castrate on a cool spring morning where dry weather was forecast for a few days. We wanted to avoid damp or wet ground should they choose to lay outdoors more than in their hutch with straw. We also checked to make sure the temps were no where near warm enough for flies to be out, thus avoiding the possibility of fly strike (maggots).? For the record, some vets with spray the area with a topical antiseptic spray for a few days and/or a spray?that prevents fly strike. We did not utilize either product and were quick to return them to their ram group so they could get some exercise and avoid much swelling of the surgical area.

As for temperament, because my fellows were already laid back in their attitudes, we did not see much change in their behavior. They did, however, seem much more tolerant of introduction of younger rams and, of course, did not participate in the usual establishment of "who is top dog" mounting behaviors after the first few months. Both were already pretty people oriented, which did not change. I have done banding castations on the farm on other older lambs (like 3-4 months) of age simply to reduce overall ram numbers but also to provide a buddy wether for?ram being purchased. On one occasion, we had?a pretty friendly wether at birth become a real flighty fellow following wethering at 3 1/2 months of age - not sure why it happened but that was a one time deal, thus far.

Hope our experiences shared here may help you in some small way - good luck! :)

Cheryl in WV
http://paintedrockfarm.blogspot.com

WHEN EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SHAKEN IS SHAKEN, THE ANCHOR THAT HOLDS IS THE WISDOM OF THE CROSS. (Jason Upton, Key of David Ministries, from the CD 1200 ft below sea level)

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)