[Jacob-list] sheep update... still need some advise

Hannah hannah at knoxfarms.com
Wed Dec 3 08:57:47 EST 2008

This animal was going to die. Our vet has told us about using steroids in
small doses to treat infections in conjunction with antibiotics in goats.
We felt that we needed to go one step further with this sheep. I'm sure
you know that any aerobic creature cannot live in a state of not being
able to breathe for very long. The Naxcell wasn't quite doing the trick
and now she is alive- 100% better. Thanks for the advise, though. I've
always wanted to know if we could use steroids to treat one of our dogs.
I surely won't be doing that.

> Nick had asked about using steroids with pneumonia. I'll start by saying

that I am a small animal vet and have not practiced on sheep since vet
school (until recently getting started with Jacobs.) That being said I
can say in general you would not want to use steroids in the face of
infection.

> In dogs and cats we would only use them if there was so much

> swelling/inflammation that we felt they needed the effects to be able to

breathe. I also belong to a small ruminant list (to update my sheep
medicine

> skills) and it does seem that use of steroids in the face of infection

seems

Jacob-list at jacobsheep.com

--
Knox Farms