[Jacob-list] breeding, etc.

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Fri Aug 29 08:14:07 EDT 2008

I put mine in on Nov. 1, up here in chilly Vermont, and in 13 years, all but six have taken in the 18 days I leave them together. I agree that if not showing signs by 9 p.m., actually, or 10 (I can't stay up til 11 on a regular basis) they are not likely to have babies until first light, which around here is 7 in winter. I check them at 9, then go to bed, and unless wakened from a dead sleep by a hunch, they have privacy to have their lambs in peace until 7 a.m. when I start my day time checks. The ones who basically aren't thrilled with people, tend to have them in the night on their own. I respect that. They are adults and get to choose. If they want help, they need only make known to me that they are in labor and I"ll stay. If they give me a dirty look when I pull up a chair outside their lambing pen, I leave and give them privacy. When they come over to me and blat in my face, I figure they are saying, "Get in here and get this d....lamb out now!" and I go in. Generally in that situation, they stand quietly while I check them out. I've had to assist about 6 times in those years, and most of them were when requested by the ewes.
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.