[Jacob-list] Extra testosterone??

Juliet & Gordon westergladstone at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 25 10:23:19 EDT 2008

Hi Sue
We did once have a tup lamb as you describe, but a Shetland. We noticed also that he passed urine more like a ewe than a tup. We took him down to the vet who thought at first he was an hermaphrodite, but on closer examination we found that not only was the scrotum bifurcated, but also the urethra. This meant that urine tended to trickle out below the anus rather than being carried forward to the penis under the belly. We had to work hard to keep him clean and the flies at bay, and he always smelled a bit of urine. He was very friendly and fit. At the time we couldn't see how to castrate him (we would have used two bands), worrying about further damaging the open urethra, so we left him entire. His testosterone levels were perfectly normal! He grew fast and was soon turned into meat and a pretty rug ! We have no idea why he had this condition and we have never seen it again, but it does happen in humans too.
Juliet in Scotland UK