[Jacob-list] Raw goats milk vs. lamb formula?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 19 00:06:28 EDT 2008

--Lynne wrote:

>Yep, goats can pass CAEv on to sheep in the form of OPPv.

============
I have used goat's milk two times for my bottle lambs. I have a source
close by where I can buy it. One time the goat had mastitis on one side of
an udder. I was concerned about my lamb acquiring it now and then having
mastitis problems later in life, but I had a wether lamb so I thought it
would be safe. If I had a ewe lamb, I would've said "no thanks, probably
shouldn't do this" and I would've found another source. Maybe there is
nothing to worry about with this; but I wouldn't take the chance.

The vets at the WSU Veterinarian Teaching Hospital told me that my lamb can
use the pasteurized goat's milk sold at the health food stores, but it is
very expensive. I bought some last year for $3.50 a quart!

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho