[Jacob-list] Raw goats milk vs. lamb formula?

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:13:31 EDT 2008

>You can get OPP from CAE? Somehow, I thought these were species specific

illnesses!

Yep, goats can pass CAEv on to sheep in the form of OPPv. I thought that
they where species specific also, but did a ton of research on the subject
when I was thinking of purchasing some dairy goats. In fact the blood test
for OPPv/CAEv is the exact same test for both species. OPPv can also be
spread by secretions other than milk- blood, saliva, snot, and even feces,
although it is a little less common for it to spread that way because OPPv
can't tolerate conditions outside the body for very long.
A really good web sight to look at for OPPv/CAEv info would be:
http://www.oppsociety.org/ . It really would be a worthwhile society to
join, as OPPv is such a serious disease especially for us with rare breeds,
because one infected ram getting passed around could potentially infect a
good portion of the population one flock at a time. In fact, it's the reason
I decided not to show sheep anymore, show barns are perfect for OPPv spread.

Hope that helps

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep