[Jacob-list] Fw: Split Eyelids, More questions

schmick54 at aol.com schmick54 at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 00:08:15 EDT 2008

BRAVO !! Well said.

Mick

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Unzicker <runzicker at verizon.net>
To: Jacob-list at jacobsheep.com
Sent: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 6:38 am
Subject: [Jacob-list] Fw: Split Eyelids, More questions

?

I have had several rams that were champions in the show ring.? Some I bought from other breeders as ram lambs.? None?of these came from parents who were shown.??I also raised some that did very well in the show ring.?? However, I do not? purchase a sheep because I think they will do well in the show ring.? I buy or keep rams I have raised that give?me diversity of blood lines, that I think will complement my ewes, and ones that I personally like because of their horns set, markings, temperament etc.? I have been known to sacrifice one of these traits? if I really liked everything else about a particular ram.?

?

Who I happen to own at the time of the show usually determines who I show.? I show??to promote and advertise the breed, not to win in the ring. I usually sell any ram lambs I raise if I have a buyer?so who is left?here is who may get shown.? This means that?occasionally I come in near the bottom but I think it is more important to support the various shows so I show what I have.? If I buy a ram?lamb, I do not usually sell them.? Although I did sell one I had bought only months before because a teenage? breeder needed a ram and everything I had left was related to his flock.?? That?ram lamb was named a champion ram,? beating out my own yearling.? ? Not sure who was happier,? the young man who showed Meridian Emmett or myself at seeing the pride this young man took in his Jacobs!

?

I have shown a ram with a split eye lid. Not proud of that but that is what I had at the time.? I didn't expect?him to be champion but so many judges do not know Jacobs and probably never heard of a split eye lid.?? I really do not like splits but I liked everything else about the ramand he passed inspection ?so I decided to use him.? None of his offspring had split eye lids.? I think I was just lucky though.? I also showed a two horned ram that I really liked.? I had never kept a two horned ram before.? That is how much I liked him.? He was champion several? times.? Great ram in all respects except one.? When we did a sperm count on him,? he?had twelve sperm, all dead.?? Interesting side note is that his twin was champion ewe more than once also.?? She was bred to lamb as a two year old.? She was the only ewe that did not conceive this year.? So much for bring a champion!? My point to all this is, buy the ram that you think is best for your flock.? Do not buy just because a
particular animal won in the show ring.

Royal