[Jacob-list] registrations

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Apr 8 14:56:34 EDT 2008

There was a big article in the last newsletter explaining all this. I questioned the cost for children, especially, but I think there may be some wisdom in the idea that MOST of these do not need to be rush jobs, if only people got on the stick and got the registration information in early. Since I don't show and only take my sheep to one show, as breed exhibit, not show sheep, and that in September, it isn't an issue for me. Perhaps you need to take this up with Robin Lynde. I think it is a response to a loss for JSBA over the years mostly from people who wait til the last minute and then expect everyone to drop everything and register their lambs, which isn't always possible since the people doing all this have lives, most or many of them full time jobs, their own lambing and shows to prepare for, etc. If we had a professional registry office, like other breeds who don't inspect each sheep, it would be an easy process but with the process we have, which I really like, and which other breeders of other types of sheep have commented to me about (wishing they had same), we really need to be on top of things, and be responsible for reading the newsletter and absorbing the information in it, and objecting to things decently and in order. (I spoke to Robin the day after the newsletter came, weeks ago.) I know no other way to disseminate information other than the newsletter unless we keep a special list of people who don't have time to read the newsletter and someone be personally responsible for calling them and reminding them, but then who would absorb the cost of all those phone calls. Believe me, I know how hard it is to pay attention to stuff in the newsletter and to read and absorb it. It always comes at a time when I have thousands of things to do, company coming, have just volunteered to bake 8000 donuts for some organization's event, and I have a sick sheep...(okay, I'm exaggerating, but all of you know feelings like this from time to time, and why is it that that's the time the newsletter comes!) Anyway, the article jumped out at me, and I can't locate the newsletter right now, so I can't tell you why...I just don't remember. However, I think most of these costs can be avoided by getting stuff in asap when you know you will be attending shows. Md. is hard, it being the first big one in the east, but I think it is doable if people send in their stuff in a timely fashion. What do the rest of you think? I will certainly gather information and bring it up at the board meeting, if those in my region (NE) want to email me privately about this new process.
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.