[Jacob-list] Split Eyelids, More questions

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Apr 7 21:03:16 EDT 2008

Was Sir Lancelot shown? Seeing Royal's Southwind Pied Piper at MSWF introduced me to the Southwind flock in person. Although Katrina's evaluation of the flock had as much weight for me as Piper winning GC at MSWF. I didn't buy Sasquatch because Piper was GC. I bought Sasquatch because seeing Piper got me interested in looking at more of the Southwind flock. So, maybe that's a good reason to show?

The worst fleeced ewe I ever owned produced one of the best fleeces for me and one of the best for her previous owner.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com

> Linda:

> I don't pursue purchasing Grand Champion rams for my

> flock........many times I end up with a ram that is located within

> a decent radius of my home. I did drive up to New York for Sir

> Lancelot some yrs. ago - probably only about a 5 hr. ride one way -

> and he was worth it. I've had Jacobs now for a number of yrs. and

> have discovered that many times perfect horns, perfect spots,

> perfect fleece, perfect health, perfect mothering in the sire and

> dam don't necessarily produce those same wonderful traits in the

> offspring -- and parents with poor horns, SUED, coarse fleece, just

> might produce the most beautiful lamb ever. 1 + 1 doesn't

> necessarily equal 2 with these guys -- a grand champion ram doesn't

> guarantee champion lambs. However, I must hasten to add that I

> don't show my sheep -- I might be more inclined to pursue champion

> rams if I did - hoping that perhaps the sire's reputation may

> precede them into the ring!

> Sue Martin

>>> OK.. I have 2 of them... Both sired by the ram I culled last

>>> year... Thankfully they are the only ones by that ram. There

>>> are no sheep in the flock with split eyelids other than these 2

>>> lambs. He did not have SUED.

>>> How common are SUED's? Im guessing that they are a reason to

>>> not SHOW a particular animal... But what about a ewe lamb? Is

>>> it a reason to cull her as well?

>>> There was talk on previous posts about research done in years

>>> past, but I must have missed the ink to the information. As

>>> you all know, Im new to the Jacobs, and enjoy having them , but

>>> also enjoy the (GASP) Showring! SO , the genetics that play

>>> into this are VERY important to me.. Especially if this is a

>>> issue in the showring and with breeding animals.

>>> My big goal is to produce rams that have one well in the ring,

>>> and are sold to breeders as producers who have a bit of a

>>> record.... I know, I'm a bit over involved.