[Jacob-list] Split Eyelids, More questions

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Apr 7 20:11:57 EDT 2008

Lots of Jacob breeders show. That's not a 'gasp'. It's breeding ONLY for show that bothers me. I have a great deal of respect for many of the breeders that consistently win. None of them breed "for the show ring".

If we culled every Jacob with a notch, as I heard they did in the UK at one time, we'd have a breed with only two horned sheep. You cannot get rid of SUED without getting rid of polycerate animals.

What's the market for a Grand Champion ram? Just curious as I haven't seen many going on to be flock sires in serious flocks.

Does anyone want to comment? It's an interesting topic - does performance in the showring factor into your decision when buying sheep?

Linda
who is working to get a Jacob class at SAFF this year - but won't feel bad if I lose and won't feel proud if I win

www.patchworkfibers.com