[Jacob-list] Breeding Sheep

Lloyd & Ellen Bakan lebakan at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 17:55:46 EDT 2007

Let me start by saying that this is only the second breeding season for us
and we're not very familiar with the acceptable means of making arrangements
with other Jacob shepherds to temporarily exchange rams for breeding
purposes. We have just a small flock of two- and four-horned Jacobs here in
Rio Linda. It is a very nice flock of all registered animals. Last year,
we had the good fortune of being offered a beautiful visiting two-horned ram
with excellent credentials. From that resultant group of lambs, we have a
very nice ram lamb, seven months old, well marked, whose horns are still
forming, but looks very promising. Since our flock is so small, our options
are very limited for breeding our ewes without doing some inbreeding, which
I wouldn't like to have to do. What I'm leading to is this: does anyone
nearby have a two-horned ram that they would like to exchange for the
breeding season, only.

Ellen

Lloyd & Ellen Bakan

5615 4th Street, Rio Linda, CA 95673