[Jacob-list] Fwd: Re: Sheep Halters

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Sep 20 19:24:23 EDT 2007

I liked your typo "wonderful halters from rams with horns". I kept thinking of halters made out of rams.

Which ones do you order? I haven't seen one with an adjustable nose and adjustable length. They look like they'd be very practical. The ones at Hoegger are actually llama halters, but they are really popular with goat people, so we call them goat halters around here. Hoegger is a Georgia business - and, as Cathy P said, it's totally a family business.

After day two of halter school, I am definitely going to halter break all rams from now on. Sasquatch is walking better on a lead than Dave's dog, Dopie (doesn't take much as Dopie has earned his name - but he is cute - sorta). The one spooky ram lamb still needs a pretty strong pull, but he is walking on his own. The walking on a lead is a great benefit, but equally as important (to me) is that they are learning to stand still the minute I catch them, instead of making that quick jerk to escape. Which is very hard on my old hands. When I used to shear my sheep, I'd shear them standing and tied. They were all pretty good about standing once caught after learning not to fight being tied. I'm lazy now and have a shearer come in.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com