[Jacob-list] Hay

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Sep 19 14:05:18 EDT 2007

Gleaning the cornfields is a good traditional way to utilize waste corn grain and stover. I would be surprised if sheep are able to get much from the stalks. Baled stalks would have a lot of waste. Beef and dairy farmers are using baled corn stover by grinding it to 1-2 inch lengths and mixing it with grain. Wet Brewers and distillers grain works great for this.

I have to say that I don't blame ethanol use so much as I do urbanization in this area. Small plots that would be mowed for hay in years past are now growing zero-turn lawn mowers and septic tanks. Maybe we are going about this wrong: Start hauling your sheep to town and offer to mow lawns "organically".

Neal Grose