[Jacob-list] hay issue

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 11:01:59 EDT 2007

In the San Francisco area not only is hay $17 a 100lb.
bale but it is really awful hay...looks more like
straw. I just found a guy that bought 14 semi loads
out of the area which look a lot nicer and got 48
bales which is all I can store. With my horses and
sheep, this grass hay will get me to Christmas. There
are starting to be ads for bagged chopped hay but I
have never used that. With Haflingers I need roughage
not half digested hay or they will not get their
tummies full for long enough and will eat my barn.
OUr last rainy season was not as heavy as the year
before so we have less grass hay. Also country folks
are saying that all the pastures around them that used
to grow hay are converted to corn for ethanol. So it
is not just the lack of rain that is creating the
shortage. The problem in California is that we really
do not have the soil in many places to grow corn so
they are really depleting the light soil with growing
corn...much less the water shortage looming. Victoria

Victoria
Castle Rock Farm
Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats
www.castlerockfarm.net