[Jacob-list] scrapie

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Sep 18 20:26:25 EDT 2007

How would you hear of a Jacob with scrapie? I am not being facetious - I am interested.

The aphis site shows 24 Jacob breeders listed. There are a few flocks that I know don't have Jacobs anymore. I assume we would have heard of scrapie in one of these flocks on the aphis site (if the sheep showed signs at that farm - who knows what happened after they left?) - but what about other flocks? How many breeders that are not enrolled have had a sheep die and disposed of it without notifying the "AUTHORITIES"? I am NOT saying that these sheep died of scrapie!! I'm just saying that if one did, how would you/me/we know? It is required by law that all sheep leave a farm tagged with a mandatory scrapie tag. After they leave, they could fall dead of scrapie at the new owner's home, be buried, and no one would know. And I bet a few sheep leave farms without any sort of ear tag. I doubt you see Jacobs in mass at the commercial slaughter houses where the USDA would be inspecting. I am NOT saying that Jacobs are not scrapie resistant. No, I've never heard of a Jacob Sheep with scrapie.

I had the state vet out about 6 years ago to discuss the scrapie program. At that time, because of the questions I just posed, I did not feel that the program really suited me. Interestingly enough, neither did the vet, although for different reasons. He didn't seem to think that the program was for small "hobby" flocks, as they weren't usually moving in large numbers in one shipment. HMM - I thought it only took one infected animal? He did recommend that I get my ewe flock where I wanted it first, which made sense to me. The big reason I didn't join the certification program at the time was that I didn't feel the tracking system was efficient for our "hobby" breed. Or maybe for any breed. I still don't.

DNA testing is a whole different pony. And that is the reason that I enrolling in the certification program this year. (plus I spent all that money on the tags and applicator 6 years ago, so need to use them). I do have my ewe flock where I want it. Will I bring in sheep from unenrolled flocks? Very likely - if all of the sudden Maizie Hescock or some similar great breeder says "hey, Linda, do you want my flock?"(which won't happen) and I would say "no"? You got to be kidding.

I'd like to see the scrapie program allow an enrolled flock to bring in sheep DNA tested as RR (or maybe QR).

Betty, hope you are feeling better after your tumble.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com