[Jacob-list] halter breaking rams

snielsen at orednet.org snielsen at orednet.org
Mon Sep 17 13:02:46 EDT 2007

On Mon, September 17, 2007 8:35 am, Meg Steensland said:

> I only halter break the ones going to a fair - ...

We have never done any special training for leading. We hook him up, tug
on the rope, and say, "Come on, Testosterone." Except for one neurotic ram
lamb a few years ago, they all seem to get the idea within about 10
minutes. With 2-horn rams we use halters. With a 4-horn, we put the lead
rope around his neck, clipping it against a knot so it can't tighten on
him. Either method seems to work well enough.

BTW, I like to handle rams on a pretty short lead. They might toss their
heads or stamp occasionally, but they don't have enough run-up to make a
gesture of superiority. I don't hesitate to knock a ram off his feet if he
needs a lesson. They do not turn as quickly on four feet as I do on two.

The one neurotic ram lamb from a few years ago, who was incapable of
learning to walk nicely, seemed to think he was headed for the knacker
every time we came near him. Eventually, he was more or less right.

Susan

--
See our farm blog at http://skepweaver.wordpress.com/