[Jacob-list] A couple of questions

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 12 13:37:03 EDT 2007

First, where do you live?

Depending on your weather, you need to know when you want to lamb, and put your ram out about 5 months before that.

I always TRY to shear right before lambing.....but my shearer usually doesn't cooperate so, although I lamb in mid-April there are times I don't get shearing done until the end of May. I go to my shearer so it does cause some stress on the lambs and ewes when they get separated for the trip to the shearer (and it takes them awhile to recognize mom because she comes back naked).

I use to "borrow" a ram - never had a formal contract or even thought of it as leasing. I picked him up and took him home 8 weeks later - and of course at that time I worked around the owner's schedule of using him, which was how I got started with later lambing. We never had any problems with this arrangement.

Tammy Knight <gone2thedawgs at gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings all!

I have a couple of "newbie" questions:

1. What time of year do you turn your ram in with your ewes?

2. What time of year do you shear?

3. Does anyone have a contract that I could copy for leasing out a ram? Any ideas on what to include in the contract?

Thanks in advance! Tammy