[Jacob-list] Grain Feeding

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 13:37:10 EDT 2007

In OH, I am feeding a mix of corn, oats, wheat (or barley) wet molasses and SE and sheep salt. When I buy the mix by myself I use barley, when I buy w/Dennis he says it is too expensive - so he subs wheat for barley. I think barly is great if you can get it. The local brewery seems to suck up all the local barley and keep the price high. I feed year round and vary the amt. 2x per day I show up to offer grain. I have sheep in 3 diff locations, so that is what 'show up' means. The ones on site with my driveway get a bit more attention and anyone needing that gets moved here unless they need lusher pasture instead of attn.

Leigh Nelson <shmee1 at mail.com> wrote: Hello All,

I was just wondering what people are feeding for grain. Are people using the pellets that are specifically for sheep (i.e. Ewe chow) or are people making a blend of common grains. If it's a blend, what are the grains that are used? Barley is in large supply in my area, is anybody feeding just barley?

In addition what are peoples grain feeding schedules, is it year round or just during breeding season (flushing, and during lactation). I would be interested to hear anyones advice.

Thanks,
Leigh

-- Want an e-mail address like mine?