[Jacob-list] more on the fence jumper

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Fri May 18 05:17:09 EDT 2007

Over here in the UK, tying an animals legs together would get you charged with cruelty. It seems to me, this ram is lonely - sheep are flocking creatures and even in the wild the males form bachelor groups outside the breeding season when they just hang out and talk football. We have never had only one ram so have not had the problem, but if he is truly agressive and not just overly playful - bearing in mind that 'play' for a sheep probably means something different than it does to humans - then lamburgers it is !
At the moment we have three rams of different breeds plus a wether all in together ; in the evening they chase each other round, butt heads and jump about, but that is normal for males. The ewes do the same thing but less aggressively (including when they were pregnant) and of course the lambs have a totally mad time in the early evening. I know of many people who keep the ram in with the ewes year round, but that has not worked for us. If we had only one ram, we would keep a wether with him for company, while the ladies get on with pregnancy in peace. For your next ram, try keeping a wether for him.
Juliet in Scotland