[Jacob-list] more on the fence jumper

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed May 16 19:23:18 EDT 2007

Apologies, Tom, if I misread your original post.

Racing around at sunset is pretty normal behavior for most Jacobs. It sounds like jumping fences isn't all that uncommon, either, although so far (knock on my wooden head), I haven't had the problem. Let us know how the hobbling works.

I would hope that a ram knocking ewes to the ground isn't a common occurrence in any flock. People that leave their rams and ewes together all year say they haven't seen the behavior. Since your ram is away from your ewes and only with them (excepting breeding, of course) when he jumps the fence, I wonder if he might be establishing himself as the alpha sheep when he is reintroduced?

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com