[Jacob-list] Shearing Observations and Questions

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Wed May 2 16:38:56 EDT 2007

I have started hand shearing my sheep, one per day is the goal, I'm over
the hump now as I have finished 6 of 11. Yesterday we sheared our ram,
which was a feat in itself given his horn size. I made a couple of
observations and am not sure if this is a point of concern, as this is my
first year shearing. First, I noticed that the ram's testicles are
missing some hair and skin is exposed. I remember when I sheared his
belly in the winter that hair was covering all of the testicles. Is the
lack of hair due to the increase in temperature or is this due to some
kind of infection. Second, I observed some yellow spots close to the skin
with some flaking of the skin. Is this just excess production of grease
or perhaps indicates the presence of keds. Lastly, I am concerned about
the weight of my sheep now that I have seen them without wool. Some of
my older ewes are pretty thin (I can see hips, spine, etc) and the ram (2
yrs old) appears good but definitely doesn't have to go on a diet. I
know that Jacobs are a lean sheep, but what is too lean. This winter I
supplemented with grain (0.5 lbs per day per ewe and increased it to 1 lb
per day per ewe during lactation), and feed what I think is good quality
hay. All six of the ewes that I bred to the ram produced twins and
survived. So am I missing anything? Thanks for your help to a new
shepherdess,Leigh