[Jacob-list] Re : Butchering question

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Mar 31 18:14:49 EDT 2007

<< Because she is not a young (under 8 month) lamb like we are used to
eating... we are considering having the chops kept, and everything else
ground.. Is this a good idea?>>

I would suggest you let her get over the birth ie until her udder reduces in
size , before sending her off for slaughter. You will not notice a
difference in meat from an 8 month old lamb and a one year old animal. Meat
from 3 and 4 year old wethers is perfection itself, still tender but with
more flavour than a young lamb . Older ewes will probably become a bit
stringy but make perfect sausages with a little rusk, ground black pepper
and some herbs. Your ewe will be very tasty eaten as you would a young
lamb.
Juliet in Scotland
ps we once had a year where just about every lamb was male, but then others
where they were mostly female, so don't dispair.