[Jacob-list] Baaing

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:38:37 EDT 2007

I have loved to hear stories of other peoples experience with their sheep
and the different personalities. When I was researching the breed, I
remember reading that Jacobs really have an individual personality....my
flock is no exception! I have noticed that each sheep has a distinctive
BAA, some are loud, some are soft, some are short, some are long! One of
my older ewes seems to mumble more than baa, she sounds to me like
Katherine Hepburn. Feeding time is always a chatty time in the barn,
especially in the morning when we give out grain. I try and talk to the
sheep as much as possible and believe that they know their names as they
seem to respond. The noise level really seems to pick up when one of the
ewes has given birth. Between the new mom, lambs, and the other
ewes....the noise level is sometimes overwhelming. At night when I call
in the dogs I have learned to wistle rather than call them....as all the
sheep seems to hear my voice and want to tell me a story. The house is
about 300 feet from the barn, and I can still hear them quite clearly.