[Jacob-list] Pretty frusterated with my first Jacob Crop

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 21:26:58 EDT 2007

Well... I'm not having much luck!

I bought a flock of Reg. JSBA Sheep about 6 weeks ago. My ewes were bred,
and I had a single ram lamb on the ground.

Since then, The first week, I had another single ram lamb out of a young
ewe. Then came the twin Ram Lambs last Thurs, I had to pull and ended up
loosing the Ewe a few days later.

Last Monday, I had another ewe give me twin RAM lambs... and My really OLD
OLD OLD ewe, had triplet ram lambs, but unfortunately, all 3 were born dead...
VERY tiny.

With no ewes left to lamb... and NOT A SINGLE EWE LAMB BORN ( 7 ram lambs) A
friend called me from an exotic sale this weekend out of state.. He said that
there was a guy selling out his Jacob herd. So I had him buy the 4 young
bred ewes. Knowing they were not Reg. I had hopes that I could enroll them in
the Foundation flock of JSBA..... After all, I had purchased a ewe at this
sale a month earlier, and she IS registered, and a REALLY nice ewe with
exceptional fleece......

Then he delivered them. I don't know what they are.. I don't THINK they are
Jacobs. They are colored correctly.. But.... Their horns are STRANGE.. On
one of the ewes.. She looks like a true Jacob.. Her build, fleece, and look is
that of my herd she has 4 horns, but they are soft nubs (she is 18 months
old). The others are much heavier boned than mine, they seem to have so much
more substance. Their horns are there.. but are flat. I will post some
pictures to photobucket.com later tonight, as Id like some input. Additionally..
their ears seem much smaller.

Id like your opinions on them... I am planning on culling them.. But perhaps
because I'm comparing them to my herd of show Jacobs.. I'm prejudiced .

And following in the bad luck of lambing .... One of these ewes lost a set
of twins this afternoon while i was at the store.

I almost wondering if I'm taking too good of care of them! They are in my
horse foaling stalls, with a camera on them... and we are really on top of
things...