[Jacob-list] Naming

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 16 15:55:37 EDT 2007

First let me say, this has been the most fun reading in a long time!

I have Sugarpine Farms since we live in the Sierra Nevada foothills at the elevation where sugarpine trees start appearing.

My husband wanted to have fun with our place, so our chicken coop looks like an old mercantile (with dental trim, a tall false front and a front porch for the rocking chair). Our sheep shed (when finally built) will be in the style of a livery or blacksmith's shop.

So obviously we name our sheep using the Old West for ideas. Calamity Jane has always been a trouble-maker (opening gates, stealing tools, sneaking into the house, etc., etc.). Madeline was named for a singer that used to do her act on horseback, Lady Godiva-style. Lillie (Langtree) is known by the name Two Bit because the breeder threw her in to the package for only $25, and finally Molly (a well known lady of the evening) is known as Hoser because she has a stripe on the top of her head like the dog from the movie Strange Brew.

We will use real and fictional names, whichever seems to fit the lamb.