[Jacob-list] Infected Foot

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:44:42 EDT 2007

I had a ewe that wasn't putting any pressure on one of her feet. I
inspected the foot, poked and prodded a bit and found some liquid came
out of what looked like a wound. Being new to sheep I called the vet the
next day to get a second opinion. He inspected it and said it was
probably infected and to give some penicillin. Now my vet is great in an
emergency but not too knowledgable about sheep, he's more for cows. So I
was doing some more reading and found out that they have a gland just
above the hoof that sometimes gets plugged, once it's been cleared they
can walk on it again. I'm not sure if this is the case with your sheep
but it's a quick and easy check. It was an expensive lesson for me to
learn, so I thought I would pass it on.