[Jacob-list] Sheep Names

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Mar 15 23:07:03 EDT 2007

I have had all kinds of ideas about naming over the years......for a while I was striving for not just Bible names but also Hebrew names. I even bought a book of Hebrew names.....the only problem with those names is that they didn't connect with people - hard to remember, hard to say, etc. We have also named sheep for their personalities -- we once had one named Apache! Years ago we bought a sheep with the name of Jacqueline -- however the seller was adamant that we needed to use a French pronunciation -- this lambie was never to be a Jackie......she was "Jacque-wa-leen"!!! However, I am now working my way through the alphabet........this is a relatively new "fad" for me - this year all lambs will have names starting with the letter E........and I pretty much do it randomly by looking through a baby name book and selecting the ones that "sound good" and seem to fit the look/personality of the sheep. I have always used real names -- we've never used names like Fluffy, Puff, Lamb Chop, etc. Occasionally I will even bestow a middle name -- one of my favorite sheep was Amity Lou -- our pygmy goat is Daisy May (not real original, but it seems to fit her), and Daisy May's two wethered sons are Zevi (Hebrew) and Rudy. The first Jacob sheep I ever owned was Fieldwood Anna........originally from the Rockefeller Farm. Our prefix and the name of our little 10 acre farmette is Stonecroft..........aptly named because our soil is very shaley and rocky - I always say it's 4 parts stone to 1 part soil!! And a croft is a small farm.......Stonecroft.

Well, I should do a barn check.........it's mid March, we are one third of the way through lambing and the weather forecast is saying anywhere from 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow here in southeast PA -- and it could be more!!! What happened to Spring.....earlier this wk. our temperatures were in the 60's!!!!
Sue Martin
Stonecroft

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may He make His face to shine on you
and be gracious to you; may He lift up His countenance on you and give you peace.
Numbers 6:22-27