[Jacob-list] Our first Lamb

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 11:17:07 EST 2007

We went out to a surprise yesterday afternoon.. A nice health ram lamb up
and nursing! This is our first Jacob lamb born ! It is out of a maiden ewe
.. and she seems to have taken to him like a fish to water! Her udder is
pretty empty. Im hoping that's because this lamb is keeping her empty.

He has been up and nursing regularly. We went ahead and gave him a dose of
NutriDrench for lambs when we found him, dipped his navel, and then banded
his tail.

I am going to go ahead and keep a dose or two of Oxytocin on hand in case
any of these younger ewes need it. Ive not giving her any, as the lamb seems
strong.

Jacobs must be VERY good at cleaning up after lambing... I would always find
a bit or two of the sack, but didn't find anything.. I am assuming she
cleaned out, as she does have some blood on her hind legs....

We guess the lamb was between 1-3 hrs old when found.

Anything Im overlooking? I think it will take awhile to get back into the
swing of lambing after not having ANY in 10 yrs!
http://www.aol.com.