[Jacob-list] First Aid Suggestions/opinions please

Beryl Schwartz beryl5145 at wirelessbeehive.com
Tue Jun 12 15:51:08 EDT 2007

Jaci,

For the first aid kit, I'd like to add some sort of bug repellent. I use an
anti-fly cream that is meant for horses. I put it on the base of the horns
on my ewes and lambs when I see an injury or cut to hold off fly-strike.

As for worming, I use fenbendazole (Safe-guard, Pancur), since I only have
11 sheep and a llama and the wormer comes in a small container, (125 ml
bottle). It is approved for use on sheep in the UK, and my vet uses it.
When it is finished in about 2 years, I'm planning to switch to Ivomec
drench, since it is also helpful as a bug repellent when applied to their
bodies after shearing.

I worm 4 weeks before lambing in January, once in early May before I move
them to their summer pasture and again in late July, when I move them back
to the main pasture. I spot clean their barn and also collect manure from
the pasture (and compost it!) after they have moved from it to reduce the
worm load on the pasture. I only irrigate (I'm in dry north-central Utah)
the pasture a month after it has been cleaned so that any remaining worm
larvae dry up and die. I'm also thinking about using diatomaceous earth as
a wormer.

Hope this helps,

Beryl

Stockton, Utah