[Jacob-list] round bale users

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 17:50:03 EDT 2007

I use round bales. Not sure how much they weigh, but
they are about 6 feet tall and 4-5 feet wide. They are
a mixture of timothy, bermuda grass and fescue
(endophyte free). I use about 16 round bales a year
for my sheep (about 16 average, 1 horse, 3 angora
goats and our rabbits <will use less this year for
rabbits, switching them to complete feed>).

I put them up on pallets (gotten free from local
businesses) and cover with tarps and bungee cords.
When I move one into area where critters are, I have a
four-sided round bale holder -- two of the sides slide
to each other. This helps to keep the critters (except
small lambs) from climbing on the hay and fouling it.

I do have some VM in the neckwool of my critters, but
square bales are MUCH more expensive in this area. I
get a round bale for $45 delivered. Each one lasts
about 3 weeks. Square bales are $3.50 each (picked up
by me, $3.75 delivered) -- hay man estimates there are
about 40 square bales to one round, so that makes the
equivalent cost $140 TRIPLE roughly the price of one
round bale.

Before I had the metal feeder, I used to tie together
pallets with baleing twine. This kept the horse from
climbing on the round bale. They could "skootch" it
around a bit, but it worked until I get get a "real"
round bale holder.

Hope this helps!
Joy T.