[Jacob-list] thanks for answers about round bales

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:44:49 EDT 2007

Thanks to all of you that replied both to list and privately. I
really appreciated the info. It does look in a bad dry year that
round bales are easier to find. Prices are up to $45-$60 for a round
bale from the normal $30 average so there are lots of people buying up
that aren't actually feeding animals themselves. Looks like some
folks want to 'corner' the market as desperation rises!! oh well
guess that has always happened.

I have had a range of responses from folks that use feeders that have
talked about various models and styles. Some folks put the bale on
the ground. Some folks feed indoors and some outdoors. Some feeders
are messier than others for vm in the wool.

There is some risk for bales to fall over on sheep since they eat from
bottom first and of course Jacobs can get into/onto bales and feeders
so there are a few examples of a sheep being lost to collapse. I
appreciate the stories and the chance to figure out what might work
best for us given your valuable experiences.

thank you!
Ralene
PS we are pricing bale spears and bale carriers and cleaning out our
barn to rearrange for this shift. Not the first dry year shepherds
and farmers go through but so far the most severe I have faced since
raising jacobs. I too am concerned I may have to reseed my pastures
like at least one other person replied. I have tried to use mostly
pasture for my flock the firs 2-3 years but they look bad now.

--
Ralene Mitschler
Chicory Lane Farm Jacob sheep
rmitschler at gmail.com