[Jacob-list] round bale users

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Jul 21 18:03:30 EDT 2007

Around here, almost all the hay suppliers are going to strictly round bales. They say it is too labor intensive to do square bales anymore. You have to preorder square bales before baling to get any. I've been trying round bales this year and I'm pleased with them so far. I'm on my second roll. We still have to get square bales for the animals out back, where we can't carry a round bale.

I put mine in a stall area in the barn, with a goat panel (4" squares) in front. They can get their noses through, but not their heads. I do have to move the panel alot. When the bale gets down aways, it's easier to push the bale forward to the panel. I've getting very little waste, but I have to say that this is very good hay and pretty much all choice. We tried round bales a few years back. The quality of those was pretty poor we lost alot to mold where the weed clumps were still damp, so hadn't tried it again until now. What I have now I like alot.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com