[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 18

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 17:28:01 EDT 2007

RE- llamas and dogs - not a good mix. My friend Marcia Wenger had her livestock guard dog INJURE their llama (she thinks it was pulling sheep out of the pasture to play with before the llama event) and they ended up shooting the dog as they think it just went nuts and started going after their livestock at about 5 yrs of age. Wonder if it had a stroke or maybe was rabid?

I had a llama -coyote event here in 2005 - see http://www.lamaregistry.com/ilreport/2005October/ilre-port0510.html

Liability insurance - I was taking 2 Jacobs and 2 llamas to Columbus last Dec for a street fair and then 2 pageant performances and called my agent to make sure I was covered off-premesis - he adjusted my premium up $8 to cover this. WE are to do 4 pageants this year and 4 fairs - my special concern was what it someone shoots off fireworks and the llama bolts and gets away from the handler (each llama had a handler but I lead both of the ewe lambs myself) and knocks down a child? covered even tho the idiot that shot off fireworks/gun/hazard was truly instigator of problem. So, I have on-farm AND off farm liability with Nationwide - another reason not to switch to some cheapo ins co.

WE did NOT have any unruly behavior at the off-site events last year - that is why we were invited back - the only incident was the camel (brought by somone else) tried to enter a church pew on the way out and had to be pushed back - not agressive - just clumsy. I have a clumsy llama that I would not take out either as she seem to have a problem knowing where her backend is-walks thru the water buckets sometimes.

I am looking at microchipping some of my stock - a local llama farm has equipment and expertise - she is to get back to me with more info on sheep.

"Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm" <shepherdofspots at yahoo.com> wrote:
I don't know if a llama here would work. I have heard
they will attack dogs - even family dogs that go into
a paddock where they are with their sheep. Also, I
don't know if a llama would raise my liability
insurance - we have farm visits here and my agent is
very concerned about "risk levels".

I think I will put electric along the TOP of all outer
fencing (had portion done, but not all). Will also be
clearing brush to make things more open and visible.

We will be putting up "Keep Out Private Property",
"Warning Electric Fence" and "Beware of Dog" signs
both in English and Spanish.

I tattoo my rabbit's ears for identification. May
start to tattoo tag number on the sheep's ears, too.
If done when they are lambs, they'd be easy to hold
and "do".

How sad for your neighbor to lose part of their
petting zoo. People are SO unthinking! Bet they stole
the cute little goats not thinking they will grow up
to be BIG goats!

have a great day all! We're getting back to "normal"
here.

Thanks for all the encouraging e-mails! Another
chapter in shepherding, I guess!

Joy T.