[Jacob-list] Sheep security

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 13:48:58 EDT 2007

>They are all up in paddock by barn with horse now. NOT

>near the street.

>It sure is a puzzle!

>Joy T.

===========
I'm so sorry for your loss of the ewe. Maybe she will show up. For ten
years now I have a routine where the sheep are brought back to the barn
area at night or when we are not here. We haven't had a loss. Thieves and
predators would have to go through three sets of fences and past a guard
llama, plus a hundred yards or so to reach the sheep. If a sheep escapes,
it won't go far. Some evenings the ewes don't want to go in the barn area
and linger in the pasture awhile longer, that is when I get our dog, a blue
heeler mix, and it is amazing how fast the ewes head for the barn. The
rams and wethers have the same routine, except they don't have a barn, just
a three-sided shelter in their paddock. With all the large horns and some
natural aggression, it would be interesting to see a thief in there and see
if he survives.

I hope the "thief" or whatever it was doesn't come back for another.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho