[Jacob-list] Sheep security

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 09:58:36 EDT 2007

I have had 2 sheep 'escapes' this year and several previous years - one ram got out and back in before I got down the road to find him (in response to a neighbor's report). This year an adult ewe managed to get out but was waiting by the gate to get back in!

Except for the visible pasture by the road, it is hard for peole to SEE my sheep - have to drive back into the woods or sneak in the back way with an Amish cart. I think the horned animals are also a deterent to the casual thief, but would not deter someone with experience handling sheep. Or maybe someone bent on casuing you a trouble is the culprit.

Is it possible that the boy was bragging about how good his sheep was and what it was going to win at the fair and someone was jealous of this and targeted that particular sheep - a theif or rustler might have take more than one. Maybe quiz your son on who his friends are and perhaps find his sheep taken to someone else's barn.

Keeping a horse, cow, llama, donkey or other 'big' livestock in with the sheep may also deter the casual pasture invader. Regarding llamas, people are always asking 'do they' bite?' No - but they SPIT! and stomp and intrude on your space if you don't belong to their tribe.

messen at socket.net wrote:
I had a sheep disappear years ago and never found any trace. There is not
much any law enforcement can do unless the thieves keep stealing more
animals. Eventually they will get caught. This does you very little
good. I finally got same keyed padlocks for all of my gates. I am not
sure that clearing any brush, shrubs, and trees will do any good. There
was a cattle theft ring here a few years back and many of the thefts were
in the open with witnesses; people just thought that the farmers were
having somebody haul some cattle. The thieves finally got caught selling
at a sale barn. The one disadvantage that thieves have is that they are
usually lazy and not very bright.
Some people around here have also set up security cameras and post signs
that the premises are under the watchful eye of cameras. I think the
knowledge that cameras are there are a pretty good deterrent.