[Jacob-list] Sheep security

messen at socket.net messen at socket.net
Tue Jul 17 20:52:11 EDT 2007

I had a sheep disappear years ago and never found any trace. There is not
much any law enforcement can do unless the thieves keep stealing more
animals. Eventually they will get caught. This does you very little
good. I finally got same keyed padlocks for all of my gates. I am not
sure that clearing any brush, shrubs, and trees will do any good. There
was a cattle theft ring here a few years back and many of the thefts were
in the open with witnesses; people just thought that the farmers were
having somebody haul some cattle. The thieves finally got caught selling
at a sale barn. The one disadvantage that thieves have is that they are
usually lazy and not very bright.
Some people around here have also set up security cameras and post signs
that the premises are under the watchful eye of cameras. I think the
knowledge that cameras are there are a pretty good deterrent.