[Jacob-list] [jacob-sheep] Re: deposits

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Jul 14 20:47:56 EDT 2007

I received a number of private emails regarding deposits. Could those of you that replied privately to me reply to the list?

Basically, the gist was that deposits are non refundable except in dire circumstances on the buyer's end. We're business people, but are still nice people. Like a number of the responders, I ask for a 25% deposit. I feel that's a comfortable amount to be non refundable. I do not accept a deposit on a ram lamb until he is least 3 months old. I will place informal holds on younger lambs - and even on unborn lambs - without a deposit. I consider that "the right of first refusal".

One thing I deal with here is that some sales need to be coordinated with available transport, so I do like to have proof of intent via a deposit.

That said - the absolutely worst experience I ever had with a buyer was someone that picked up two lambs and paid for them and another ewe. They couldn't fit the ewe in the cat carrier and we just never could coordinate a pickup for the ewe, so I refunded their money.

Linda
www.patchworkfibers.com