[Jacob-list] Ewes Breeding Out of Season

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 2 13:13:31 EDT 2007

>The rams and ram lambs are kept separate from all the females (including

the old biddies who would gladly get pregnant, to the >detriment of their
health !) at all times except the mating month.

>Juliet in an extremely wet Scotland UK

========
Same here; except we leave the rams and wethers with the breeding ewes (two
rams, two separate groups) from November to January. We lamb in April.
Once I left them together until February and a ewe went off feed and later
lost her twins, she survived. I think she was hit by one of the boys
during a "feeding frenzy". Now I make sure they are separated by January
first. Probably the safest thing to do is separate them after the mating
month, like Juliet mentioned above. I have one "old biddie" that I no
longer get bred.
As for the ram lambs and wethers, the ram lambs are removed to a separate
area when they are three months of age. Wether lambs join them in another
month. The ewe lambs stay with their moms for at least three months and
then stay until they are sold

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho