[Jacob-list] bummer lamb

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:24:11 EST 2007

> Although I do raise sheep I don't have experience with bummer lambs, just

> bottle calves. Your best bet would be to freefeed the lamb your alfalfa and

> give it small bottle feedings around 6 times a day, fewer large feedings

> will scour the lamb. It should have free access to a pan of water at all

> times.

At what age should I wean the lamb?

We weaned our natural fed lambs at 45 days last year but for a bottle lamb

> just like with the dairy calves, you probably shouldn't go by days but by

> consumption, the lamb should be eating sufficient dry feed to sustain

> itself before you wean it completely. After about 50 days you could start to

> taper the bottle feedings, not increasing the amount per

> feeding and reducing the number of feedings. If the lamb starts to lose

> weight gradually bring it back up on the bottle feedings again and later on

> start the weaning process over. We supplemented our lambs with minor amounts

> of grain because we wean alittle early, but grain would probably help a

> bottle lamb keep up (we give our calves free choice COB)

When can/should I move from my living room back to the flock since he will
not have the protection or warmth of a ewe?

My suggestion on this would be after he is really going strong and healthy,

> if you want to move him outside just make sure he has a nice non-drafty

> place to stay by himself. I would wait to reintroduce him to the flock until

> you wean your other lambs and introduce him into the lamb group instead.

> Since he doesn't have a mommy or friend if you introduced him directly back

> into the flock he would probably get beet up pretty bad, just like any other

> new sheep.

I hope that helps

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM