[Jacob-list] Blood in urine/minerals

Karen karen at benjaminfarms.com
Mon Jan 29 22:11:13 EST 2007

I just asked about the minerals, because you mentioned what you
were feeding and it is always good to have as many facts as possible.
The salt/minerals intake does help with the water intake. More salt-
more thirst- more water. With our dogs if we see blood in the urine, we
treat for an urinary or bladder infection. Antibodies for about 7-10
days. Are your Sheep drinking enough water during this cold period?
Sometimes they do not drink enough and that could cause an infection. Or
the water freezes and they have less time to drink, before the next time
the ice is chipped away. Does she strain or take along time to pee? It
can be painful to urinate if there is an infection. I add molasses to
the water, to help the sheep drink more. I am not sure how much it
helps them to consume more though. I also add Apple Cider Vinager
sometimes, to help strengthen their immune systems. I would think the
Apple Cider Vinager would also help with a bladder infection.
Karen Sigler
Benjamin Farms, Utah