[Jacob-list] Bedding Questions

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 23:54:16 EST 2007

Bedding - I start with straw and they decide what hay they are served becomes bedding!-I have not used wood chips. I read somewhere that peat moss absorbs urine better than straw and someday may try it -maybe in a smaller pen.

Lama behavior - I like the Storey Guide to Raising Llamas - both my copies are lent out. the site lamaregistry.com may have some good info. I have guard lamas too - mostly girls. I had one male gelding who chased a coyote that touched but did not hurt a sheep. The lama got hurt - hung up on the fence. Took him home with the report of what he did - also wrote it up for ILReport - Oct 2005 - heard just today that he is with a new herd and has bonded so well that when former owners went into the pasture to see and hand feed him, Chex gathered his herd up and moved away. Does not do that with flock owners.

The only gelding I have now is finishing up his isolation from females - gelded in Nov and will go to a mixed pasture this spring. My nicest intact male is with a small flock (3) and two bred female lamas until next week when he will get some more sheep and older lambs.

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote: First let me say that my older ewes fleeces are in HOORID shape.. many of them broke wool or are starting to break wool as they are approaching lambing....Additionally, When I brought them home, the shavings in my horse trailer and hay I had given them is firmly in their fleeces now. The younger ewes with good fleeces dont seem to have this problem.

My question is , What type of bedding do you use for your ewes? Anyone use the woody Pet bedding (wood pellets) .. I use this in my horse stalls, and think it would work fine in the sheep stalls.. But wanted to check.... Im sure they may nibble on the pellets initially, like the horses did, but lose that desire quickly!

Additionally.. is there a good site or book to learn about Llama Behavior... We have the 13yo gelding hat came with the flock, and I have not figured out his posturing....