[Jacob-list] Nose bleed in pregnant ewe

Leigh Nelson shmee1 at mail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:12:54 EST 2007

Hello, I am new to sheep farming and received my first ten Jacobs last
October. I bred six of my ewes in late October, so lambing will begin
any day now. I check on the ewes frequently to see any signs that
lambing has begun. Last night, during my evening round before bedtime, I
noticed one of the ewes had a blood on her nose. Upon closer inspection
I noticed that the blood was not from a scratch but appeared to be coming
from inside the nostril. She is a mature ewe, born in 1994. Since I am
new to shepherding I am not sure if this is a big concern. I live in
Northern Ontario, which is very dry, so typically this time of year
many humans get nose bleeds. Is this the same in sheep or could it be to
some other malady? Unfortunately my local vet is not very familiar with
sheep and little help, any information or related experience would be
appreciated! Thanks,Leigh