[Jacob-list] Lamb size

Ralene Mitschler rmitschler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 10:17:50 EST 2007

Neal
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your barns being shredded!! As
somebody who grew up in one of the 'tornado' alleys of Northern KS and
Southern NE-----that is an especially bad image!!!!

Your point about genetics is exactly right!!! As a college biology
professor, I am continually trying to convince undergraduates that
individuals are NOT identical genetically! Variation is exactly one
of the most important concepts in biology and thus the source of
'resources' for survival. If everybody has different genes (or more
accurately alleles or 'flavors' of same genes) then one bad disease
can't wipe them/us all out!!!

Of course trying to predict due dates given how variable ewes'
fertility cycles are is as you say very chaotic!! : ) I am
fascinated how those of you that breed earlier get lambs. So far the
ewes that were bred in September are not coming due even though I saw
them covered! Clearly their cycles were not in the egg releasing
state at that point in time. But the predictability once I put rams
in in middle of October is much much better.

Of course it has been SO windy here that I am starting to think the
ewes are going to have to lamb more than once! tee hee
Ralene

--
Ralene Mitschler
Chicory Lane Farm Jacob sheep