[Jacob-list] Lamb size

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Feb 23 14:46:31 EST 2007

I think that gestation length is controlled by the genetics of the lamb. I know this is true in cattle. Those born a little early are usually born easily, and those on the late side may have more trouble. The longer they hang on in there, the bigger they become and the more difficulty we should expect. We suspect that years of selection for bigger lambs and cattle at the expense of early vigor ( along with selection for that abomination of the animal world: level rumps ) has had the effect of increasing birthing difficulty. WE DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BIG BABIES TO HAVE HEALTHY FAST GROWING ANIMALS.

Have to get that off my chest occasionally
Neal Grose