[Jacob-list] Locker hook rugs

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sun Dec 23 01:22:15 EST 2007

Some of the ewes have (look

> like they have) 'hair' and others do not. I was told by my wool buddies

> that some breeds like Icelandics, Navaho Churros, and Jacobs (yes, they

> said Jacobs) have guard hairs, duel coats. I don't see a duel coat

> though.

> I do have some ewes that I thought had long, coarse, hair-like wool so I

> started calling it guard hairs.

Jacob sheep do not have double coats. They have a very broad range of
acceptable fleece types, from approximately 25 to 35 microns. (I may have
that a micron or two off--it's just easier for me to remember 25-35).
Anyway, it's enough of a range that one sheep may have quite different wool
than another. Wool that is 25 microns will feel soft and wool that is 35
microns will be coarser. The coarser wools tend to be longer, wavy, and more
"hair" like. In addition, Jacob sheep have britch wool. Britch usually
refers to the coarser wool on the hind leg, but in some sheep it extends
well up the hind leg. You're right that these coarser wools are more
desirable for rugs. The finer wools are a better choice for sweaters, etc.
If you want to tale advantage of the characteristics of the finer, softer
fleeces, it is important to sort out the britch wool and use if for
something else.

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA